The Intuitive Meaning of Doves

White doves have been used as a symbol of love, peace, and harmony. What meaning do they have when they appear unexpectedly? There have been so many interpretations across the board, some good, some not so good. The most intense interpretation of the appearance of a white dove is that someone in the household will die, or someone you know has just passed. On the flip side, seeing two or more white doves can be a sign of good things in the future, including love.

White Dove Legends

Other legends say that white doves are a symbol of the holy spirit, and are sent by God. Many of the more common explanations is that peace will come into your life, “And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.” John 1:32

doveDoves and Goddesses

Several Goddesses have been shown in art with the symbol of the dove:

Atargatis,
Ishtar,
Inanna,
Astarte and
Aphrodite.

In terms of goddess-energy, the dove is a symbol of procreation and fertility.

Spiritual Meaning – The Dove Symbol

Because of their ability for flight, reaching high into the sky, most birds, including the hummingbird, are symbols of spirit. Birds have been seen as the connection between heaven and earth. This connection is also symbolic of the bridge between what can be seen, and the unseen spirit world.

What about the dove? Is there any special meaning when a dove (or pair of doves) appears?

The dove is associated with the holy spirit. There is mention of doves throughout the bible, with words about purity, and the soul. Remember the story of Noah’s ark? The bible states that a dove was sent out to find signs of land, and returned with a single olive leaf.

Dreams about flying birds is a sign of prosperity. Seen in a pair, doves can represent friendship, love, and the desire for an honest and close relationship. Dreams of doves vary: a single dove can be about mourning and loss; a flock of doves can be a bright sign for the future.

peace dove symbol self awareness

Doves – Transforming a Symbol into Self Guided Self Awareness

One of the key elements shared here at HummingbirdShaman.com is recognition that we are spirit, with the ability to see our own reflection in the world around us in whatever form it takes. What can be recognized about self from the appearance of doves?

Bird watching is fun, but it can also be a great opportunity for a little self focus and appreciation. The next time you are bird watching, take a moment and notice how you feel. Are you feeling guarded, or closed in? Likely not. When we connect with nature we tend to open up, allow our energy to flow, and step into a more giving and accepting space. Simply taking a moment of recognition and realization can make a world of difference in managing your own energy through thoughts and actions.

What about the qualities of the doves? Now is a great time to appreciate your own ability to love and create a welcoming, warm community. While we’re on the topic, you can use this time to release what does not support your ability to love and be a part of a committed relationship. Top it off with an overflowing dose of “dove energy”, and renew your own ability to find freedom of spirit within the welcoming embrace of love.

It’s very easy for us to get lost in our complicated and busy world. Taking a few minutes to shift into a more soul-friendly energy can re-vitalize you for the days to come. Life happens, sometimes within our control, and sometimes not. What we do control is our response to our world, and the “spirit” we bring in to everything we do.

hummingbird shaman signature

My greatest love is assisting others shift into the comfort of acceptance and appreciation. This relational, open-hearted energy carries into my many interests: photography, symbiotic gardening, long walks, and enjoying nature. Ready for a shift in your own world? Sessions available by appt.

Share!

Hummingbird Shaman

Kavi's greatest love is facilitating the shift from questions into greater joy and understanding. This energy of joyful expression transfers into her many interests: photography, organic, symbiotic gardening, long dog-lead walks, and, of course, bird watching. Ready for a change within your own world? Seeking your own multi-dimensional support and alliance? Healing sessions and transitional support are available by appointment.

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. CJ says:

“Doves – Transforming a Symbol into Self Guided Self Awareness” is the best explanation I have found that truly fits my life. Thank you, thank you.

2. Andrea Savage says:

Yesterday while waiting for my boyfriend I saw a flock of about 20 white doves. I have never seen anything like that before. I assumed they had been released for a ceremony as it was Memorial Day. Is that possible?

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hi Andrea, thanks for sharing your experience. I’m sure that it was lovely, and surprising, to see so many doves! There have been ceremonies with dove release on Memorial day. Doves are also used for funerals/memorial services. The idea is the release of the soul from its earthly ties. I also see it as an opportunity to release pent-up emotions, so the energy of doves can be used to help complete an unfavorable energy cycle (which can be seen as an emotional death, without harming the physical body).

Doves have been used at weddings as well. It can be a single dove to symbolize the unity, three doves to symbolize the two individuals and the living relationship.

Doves are thought to symbolize purity, but I don’t see that as being anything to which we can relate. The human experience is far from pure, by design, but it is very empowering to have choices. Purity is an ideal that has been offered for centuries, something to strive for. It makes sense, though, because the concepts of cause and effect, as well as karma, are difficult to explain. So, “be like the Goddess, or Mother Mary, or Mother Theresa” is much easier to offer a child (or adult). Once a person reaches the point of asking why and face their own evolution/responsibility of the soul and spirit in the physical world, they really do not need those symbolic rules to blindly follow.

Well now, that’s a little more than I was planning to share on doves, but your experience certainly peaked my interest! I think you will find some personal insights in my response! Thanks for sharing, and visiting http://HummingbirdShaman.com

3. helen says:

I saw 4 doves this evening on a telegraph wire on holiday by the sea, next to our cottage. I have gone through a period of deep soul cleansing for four years and this morning felt incredibly peaceful and present, even though my husband was being difficult. I felt connection to everything in the world with much heart felt compassion. Do you think seeing the Doves was significant? Thank you.

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hi Helen,
      Yes I see the doves were very symbolic for you. Patience is the word that comes to mind, and the energy that accompanies it is warm, welcoming, and very loving. All good things are worth the wait! I wish you well in your continued soul cleansing. Blessings,
      Kavi

4. Stacy says:

We saw a single white dove at our house this early evening. It landed and walked around a bit then took a drink from our pond. Walked around a bit more and eventually flew off. We have many birds and animals here but this week has been unreal. On Tuesday morning I see a Bald Eagle and today (Sunday) we see a white dove. We’ve never seen a white dove here before. We will be auctioning off some property this week and I’m hoping this is our sign of peace and prosperity this week. We just found it amazing that in 20 years and all the other animals and bird we see that we’ve never seen a white dove until now…right before this major change in our lives. What’s your interpretation?

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hi Stacy! Isn’t it amazing that nature will reach out, but really I see this as a sign that you are opening up to the signs that have been there all along. Yes, its a great sign to be at peace with your transitions. You have an opportunity now to soak in support and let go of feeling responsible for the world around you. This does not free you from making right anything from the past that could be remedied now. I’m not 100% clear on what that means without your permission to delve into your life energy, but I think you understand. Now is an opportunity to heal on many levels.

5. I have always wondered what’s the connection of white doves to funerals which is why I am glad that I found the answer here. Knowing that some legends relate white doves as a symbolism of the holy spirit sent by God answers quite a lot of queries that I had. Now I know why my relatives are asking to have white doves be released during my father’s funeral. It might be because of a symbolism related to religion. I’ll try to comply with their wishes to make sure everyone would be at peace on the event. Thanks.