Is a Dead Hummingbird a Sign of Something Bad?

There is a saying, “Signs are everywhere”. Historically signs and symbolism focused on warnings, something to indicate that trouble could be around the corner. We’ve learned to read those signs quite well, too. Signs were often shared in stories, and were woven throughout the bible. “When in evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: For the sky is red. And in the morning, it will be foul weather today; for the sky is red and lowering.” Jesus even scolded the people for reading the signs around them better than reading the signs about themselves by saying, “You know how to interpret the weather signs in the sky, but you don’t know how to interpret the signs of the times!”

In olden days, and even today we’re focused more on the “bad” signs than the good. Those good signs, omens, or symbols do sneak in to our lives every now and then. Having the choice, I’d take the “happy” signs over the troublesome, and the “soulfully present” messages over the darker omens any day.

Janice’s Hummingbird Story

“I had a question: I see hummingbirds all the time, I think they represent my father who has passed. However, today when i came in to work there was a dead hummingbird by the office door. I hope this does not mean anything awful.”

seeing a dead hummingbird is it a signSeeing a Dead Hummingbird – Is it a Sign?

This question is right up there in the “great question” category. Seeing something that we instinctively interpret as an omen, something bad, mixed in with the uncertainty because it is, after all, just a sign, can cause us concern. That’s just the nature of signs, they are meant to wake us up, and it’s up to us to pay attention. Signs are simply indicators, not negative messages or warnings from the cosmic forces.

Sure there are some signs that we know lead to something “not so wonderful”. Watching wildlife suddenly head for the hills is a good sign that a tsunami is on the way. Watching your pet act agitated for no reason, that could be a sign of an earthquake in the near future. Animals “read” these signs far better than people, wouldn’t you agree?

There are signs that are not ominous, they are simple “outside the expected”. They can be a subtle message from the soul of someone departed through the forces of nature, such as a hummingbird, or a hawk or eagle, or even a ladybug on the window who just will not go away. Those signs are often ones of support, love, and an invitation to raise the energy to a level that promotes happiness and health.

What about a dead hummingbird, what does that mean? Isn’t that a bad sign? I certainly would not appreciate finding one of my  hummingbird spirit friends at my feet, but I would appreciate the message. Death is sad, and we miss those whom we’ve loved in this lifetime. But death is not the end of the soul, it is only a transition. Animals have a much different relationship to death than humans do, but they treasure their life and breath more so than we.

Understanding that I cannot express your personal message or inner meaning within the open forum of the website, that’s what we talk about in sacred space during a soul-level private session, I can talk about the more generic perspectives of your question.

What kind of message can it be when a dead hummingbird appears?

It could be very Easter-like, resurrection focused. It could be a message to bring your energy out of the clouds, off your problems, and back “from the future” (or past) so that you can be more conscious right now, where it matters. The sign can be playful, in it’s own way, a spirit to spirit sign that translates to say, “See, I told you I’m not gone, just elsewhere”. I’ve seen many signs over my lifetime, and interpreted those message for clients often over the past 30 years. Sometimes it is a sign that someone is watching over us, tapping on our shoulder in any way they can to bring us out of a funky mood, or be more alert and ready to change course if needed.

Love is all around us, even when in the disguise of a warning or what appears to be an omen. If asked, which would you choose? A heartbreak today that soon enough passes, or a lifetime spent going in a direction that wasn’t for our greater good?

hummingbird shaman signature

My greatest love is assisting others shift into the comfort of acceptance and appreciation. This relational, open-hearted energy carries into my many interests: photography, symbiotic gardening, long walks, and enjoying nature. Ready for a shift in your own world? Sessions available by appt.

Share!

Hummingbird Shaman

Kavi's greatest love is facilitating the shift from questions into greater joy and understanding. This energy of joyful expression transfers into her many interests: photography, organic, symbiotic gardening, long dog-lead walks, and, of course, bird watching. Ready for a change within your own world? Seeking your own multi-dimensional support and alliance? Healing sessions and transitional support are available by appointment.

You may also like...

21 Responses

1. Janice says:

Thank you, yesterday after reading you response I went to my front window and was two humminbirds in our feeder. One looked at me tilted his head and drank a bit more… after a few moments he flew away. I asked my husband if he ever sees humming birds at the feeder and he told me that he hardly ever sees them… I think that this is more of a sign that they are there for me.

2. Douglas says:

While on a vacation on my 10 year anniversary, I was attending a yoga class in a semi covered outside palapa. During the beginning of the session and just starting our relaxing poses, I felt something drop on my head and shoulder. I looked to the ground in front of me between my legs and saw a small hummingbird barely moving. The instrctor came over and picked up the small bird and we watched it stop breathing in her hands. For the rest of the class, the hummingbird was set on the table behind the instructor as everyone gave it blessings
    Thought it was a very strange happening to fall out from the ceiling and land on me
    Wondering if this had any significance

• Wow, that is very unusual. I see this happening for the whole class, but for you it shows how much dedication you have to creating sacred space. It’s very interesting to look at the energy, it’s like a beacon that draws energy toward you. Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your story. God bless, little hummingbird!

3. zakkery says:

..this is very interesting…. I have just found a dead hummingbird outside my apartment. Actually curious as to how it got there…I immediately looked it up to see what this could mean…I found this article right away… It is interesting because I just lost my child. My baby was not born yet. But I knew for 2 1/2 months that he/she was coming….the mother had decided to leave me for her ex boyfriend despite my desperate attempts to convince her to stay.. She informed me that she wanted to get an abortion.. I refused to agree but lack of care from our legal systems in California made it impossible for me to have any say in the matter…I fought and begged every day for hours to get her to keep the baby but leave me. Give me my baby if she does not want it..again she refused. She didn’t want to get “fat”. What kind of reason or justification this is to kill someone’s child I will never understand…she got the abortion 2 weeks later and did not tell me about it…I just found out on Monday November 3rd, 2014 that she aborted the child November 1st, 2014..coincidentally the guy she left me for’s birthday. The message was clear…I did not take it well. I did a lot for her and never deserved this kind of pain…I had a panic attack 2 days later November 5th, 2014. I was hospitalized because my heart was beating out of control and I could not stop it. My blood pressure was through the roof..I have never felt so close to death. The only person I called the whole time was the mother…I just had to know why. Why you would take a life from me…she would not answer. She would rather me die painfully and uncertain…the doctors ended up injecting me with something that reduced my blood pressure and slowed my heart.. I made it…today is 2 days after that incident November 7th, 2014. I woke up this morning and saw this on my apartment balcony…staring right at me on the couch…..I’ve never cried so hard…

• Hello Zakkery,
      I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through so much. It is painful enough when things happen in our lives, but when those things are by choice, so sad. It’s good that you had the medical care you needed, please take care.

The hummingbird is part of your healing process, and this is only one of several supports that will come your way. You’ll find others who want a more open, loving environment and you’ll be ready for it.

God bless.

4. Jatin Sharma says:

It is something I wasn’t prepared for. A few hours ago my neighbour in the adjoining apartment pointed out a bird sitting right at the corner of the door (its winters here and temp as low as 5 degree celcisus at night). Considering our roof door is shut all the time (I live on top floor) and there’s hardly any open window in the stairway; I was amazed how it got there.

At first it was a ball of fur sitting. Fearing it might get spammed by the door me and my neighbout took it up to the roof and kept it under the 3 sided enclosed area beneath the water tank area. Thinking this way the bird will be able to survive in its natural environment; thats what the neighbour said as I didnt know what to do.

I just happened to start googling what sort of bird it was and with images and descriptions I could now figure its a hummingbird. Been 4 hours since we left him I was worried and went on the roof again (its 1 am now). There I saw the bord moved to the corner of that enclosure from the open box we kept him in; unfortunately on trying to move him with paper and make sure he’s fine it didn’t move and on bringing it close I can see he’s not breathing.

Is this something bad?

• Hello Jatin,

It can be difficult to know what to do for wildlife in a situation that is so far removed from their natural habitat. Very unusual that the bird found its way inside! You did the best you could with what you had to work with.

Hummingbirds can drop their metabolism down substantially during cold weather. Hopefully when it warmed this bird recovered.

Is this something bad? I don’t see it as such, not like a bad omen. It is an opportunity for you to increase your awareness, which I see happening. You show that are a caring person.

I wish you well.

Kavi
      HummingbirdShaman

5. sherrie malcolm says:

Hello, I had a female humming bird that would follow me around when I was on my porch. I used to joke that she thinks I’m food! I don’t have feeders around my house. well last night she followed me into my house without my knowledge. I was laying in my dark bed room and I heard a buzzing noise and thought oh just another stink bug and went to sleep. My son found her in my hallway dead the next afternoon. I’m crushed!! Poor little girl is gone. What if anything does this mean? Is it bad luck? I’m really upset about this little lovely dying in my house/dying period I should say. any insight please?

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hello Sherrie,
      Please do not take responsibility for the hummingbirds ending. It is sad, and I know I too would be heartbroken. There is a message for you in all of this, and hang in there, it’s two-fold. First, this is a lesson in being aware, paying attention. This is something that you (and many of us) will always be refining, forgetting, and renewing. You are teaching your son this skill, but its more than just a skill. The second part lifts the weight and burden off your “day-to-day life”, for above and beyond our “conscious awareness” there is a part of you that is bigger than the moment. That part of you will always precede your physical self, and can/will be there in a way that the physical self cannot. This is the part of your “consciousness” to start to listen to, be aware of, and integrate into your life. Your son will hear your words and your stories, and he will be watching you (on many levels). That hummingbird spirit is a part of your life, and will be, far beyond the reach of that little hummingbird body. It’s a blessing, if you so choose.
      God bless,
      Kavi

• Sherrie Malcolm says:

I’ve been thinking about my humming bird everyday with much sadness of her death. I miss her. But I must Thank You for your response, and I will be listening and paying attention.

6. Blanche says:

This is the second time in my life I see a dead hummingbird… the first time in the headlights of my car years ago.
    Today as I was going out of my office to my car, to get some documents and feeling happy about selling my old car… I see a dead hummingbird at my feet and picked him up, his wings were stiff and his eyes open he looked alive except for his tiny tongue sticking out and his wings open and stiff.
    He felt kind of warm and soft… hummingbirds are my absolute favorite bird and I almost cried today.
    I showed it to some of my coworkers trying to revive him but he was dead already.
    I laid him between some plants in he garden at work.
    This happened just now and I am trying to find an positive answer not a negative one.

• Blanche says:

sorry for the typos

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hello Blanche, sorry to hear that your encounter with a hummingbird was after it’s life transition. Animals, including birds, do not grasp to life in the same way that people do. It may be that they are closer to their spirit self, and value based on life itself, not time.

I don’t see anything negative in your experience, like an omen. It could be taken as a positive way, to appreciate all life and all of life’s experiences.

I’m glad to hear that you treated him kindly, even in his passing.
      God bless,
      Kavi

7. carol says:

Hi Sherrie,

For the past year and a half Hummingbirds have been near me in places that they would normally not be in, i.e. I’m stopped at a red light on a five lane street and a Hummingbird is flying in front of me by the windshield.

The strangest encounter happened two weeks ago. My husband, dog and I were looking at a house to buy and as I came out of the back of the house to the front I noticed a Hummingbird in the kitchen. This kitchen had a huge plate glass window and the bird kept hitting it trying to get out. I was scared it was going to break its beak or worse its neck and went over to assist it. Surprisingly it let me pick him/her up without fluttering and my husband took my picture and then I walked to the patio and released it.

Any idea why they’re attracted to me?

Thanks

8. Lara says:

Hi Kavi…… A couple months ago a mama humming bird made her nest bout 2 feet from Our front door. We walked by it many times every day. It was even head level so we made signs and put a chair to make us and visitors walk around the branch. We enjoyed her busy tending to her eggs and babies for weeks. We felt very blessed. Then I noticed her gone one day….. and the next. Eventually saw her babies had died ( in the nest). We were all so sad. Soon after, another mama made her nest RIGHT at our back door within 1 foot of the door/window…… we also watched her day in and day out…… with joy. My boys study out by the tree she was in every day and also spend a lot of time out there with our dog and 2 cats. Then one day, my boys found one of the babies on the ground and the other hanging on a branch right next to the nest. They were thinking the one probably tried to fly and didn’t make it….. and no idea about the second. This has gone from feeling such great joy, appreciation and feeling so blessed they trusted us and made their nests so close to all of us to such saddness. Feeling a bit quilt also wondering what we may have done or not done. We are extreme animal….. nature lovers….. so this hits us a bit deeply. Wondering what messages this is for me…… us? I felt the mama presence and willingness to make her nest so close to us was such amazingly good signs for all of us……especially me as it meant the most to me. ANy insight would be so apprecisted

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hello Lara,
      Thank you so much for sharing your story. How strange, it just showed up, I just now saw your story from June, and now it is September! It is so wonderful that you and your children could watch these hummingbirds. I know what it is like to have a nest within sight only to find something happens to the birds before they are able to care for themselves. This is a good lesson that not everything works out for the best, but we breathe, love, and give our best. I see the nest so close to your home as a sign of the safe space that you create every day for your family – I know you know this on some levels, but don’t realize how much you give 24/7. You are a blessing to this world, thank you so much for being and supporting, and teaching others how to create that safe space as well.
      Blessings,
      Kavi

9. Cindy says:

I feed the birds every day all kinds even during snow storms . My neighbors got a hummingbird feeder in the front yard and I was able to watch two dancing in flight the last few days it was so beautiful and sacred. I have seen them in my yard feeding on the flowers for years yet never got a special feeder for them . Tonight I got home went to get the birds on my deck and there was a dead humming bird on my deck. I filled a tomato carton with flowers and an angel and covered it with more flowers and leaves and left it on the 2nd floor deck in front of a Buddha. I have lost many loved ones thru the years and feel them come with other birds and butterflies , yet tonight I felt so sad yet it’s so peaceful on my deck and I hear lots of birds singing. I have been very stressed these past few days about my friends and God children in Florida with the hurricane about to hit. I googled and your site came up , I didn’t know what else to do so I just starting writing you listening to the birds on the deck and feel the peace thanks for hearing my story. I really can’t wait to hear from my friends. I can’t think about the hummingbird as a bad sign because I feel such peace now.

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Thanks for sharing your story, Cindy. I wouldn’t take the hummingbirds death as a bad sign. You create such a wonderful space for these birds, I see it as the bird returning home. I hope your friends and family in Florida are okay, from what I see of the storm the winds are not as bad now, but what they show on live feeds is only a part of a very big picture. Thank you for setting such a wonderful peaceful energy of support for those near and far.
      God bless.