The Meaning of a Falcon, Spiritually Speaking

The totem spirit of the falcon has come into my inner circle lately, with individuals asking about the symbolic meaning when they see the falcon in their meditation or dreams. Recently as I returned to my host’s home from an afternoon walk a peregrine falcon was spotted on a branch hanging over the house.

Falcon’s are amazingly strong, keen predatory birds, the choice of those who practice falconry. In world war II the falcon was used to intercept carrier pigeons, using its most amazing diving swoop at speeds over 200 mph to incapacitate its target.

What is the meaning of the falcon, spiritually speaking? This bird gives the appearance of being uninterested in our world and the things we consider important. The falcon is far more precise, exerting its great wing power and speed and its striking ability with care, not in a “hit and miss” way.

Another quality that the falcon has that sets it apart from other predatory birds is it’s hooked beak, used for snapping the neck of its prey. Strength with the right tools, quick results.

What meaning could the symbol of the falcon hold in our human world? The precision and directed purpose of its flight makes the falcon a symbol that could carry into both our personal and professional world. We are ineffective when we try to please everyone every time, or when we focus too much on “trying things on for size” instead of making a choice and giving it everything we’ve got.

The falcon, this power animal is a great symbol of what can be achieved when we are committed to our goals.

hummingbird shaman signature

My greatest love is assisting others shift into the comfort of acceptance and appreciation. This relational, open-hearted energy carries into my many interests: photography, symbiotic gardening, long walks, and enjoying nature. Ready for a shift in your own world? Sessions available by appt.

The image in this post is the peregrine falcon observed as stated in the story.

Share!

Hummingbird Shaman

Kavi's greatest love is facilitating the shift from questions into greater joy and understanding. This energy of joyful expression transfers into her many interests: photography, organic, symbiotic gardening, long dog-lead walks, and, of course, bird watching. Ready for a change within your own world? Seeking your own multi-dimensional support and alliance? Healing sessions and transitional support are available by appointment.

You may also like...

16 Responses

1. erika says:

Thank you for this explanation. A baby falcon appeared to me this morning. I thought it was injured so I went over to help it but as soon as I reached out to pick it up it flew high up into a tree. I felt that there was spiritual significance in its visit and the symbolism you presented seems uncannily perfect for where I am in my life right now.

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

You’re most welcome, Erika. Thank you for sharing your story, and your most appreciated comments!

God bless,
      Kavi

2. piscesgurl84 says:

I really love this 🙂 I had done a meditation and I seen a falcon. At first I thought it was an Eagle, but, I knew it wasnt. I just had to figure it out! 🙂 Makes sense to me now. Thank you!

3. Wanda says:

This morning I was walking my dog and a falcon flew and landed very close to where I was at first I thought it had fell but then it flew to a light pole in front of my house. I had made two prayers asking for some kind of a sign like always. Looking for an answer to my situation for I find alot of feathers all over my yard. Going thru a lot of stress and very tense situation.

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hi Wanda,
      Great falcon story! Falcons, being great hunters and observers, are a powerful reminder of your own problem solving skills. They are strong, but careful in their moves. Sounds like you’re being told to get that “birds eye” perspective, in other words, shifting in your perspective of what you feel is stressful and tense. Staying alert and centered will give you the balance between being falcon strong and falcon aware. It always gets down to balancing, so it seems!
      Blessings,
      Kavi

4. amelia says:

I was driving in the car with my husband and somehow I see this falcon. I was not sure as to how I noticed him as he blended right with the tree branches. I was wondering if this bird was trying to relay something to me.

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Thanks for sharing your experience, Amelia! Patience is the word that comes up. Falcons are powerful, but not always expressing that power. Patience is associated with timing, all things in their own time.

5. nancy says:

last night, i dreamt of 5 brown falcons circling up in the sky – as i watched them, one bombdived towards me at high speed and then swooped again.

6. Letty says:

My stepdaughter found an injured falcon top of my car what does that mean?

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hello Letty,
      What an unusual thing, to find an injured falcon on the car. On the practical side, call rescue, if you cannot find a number call a vet, or the zoo, or any wildlife center. On the spiritual side, that bird is a sign of transition. Be aware of who you are, your breath and consciousness. Change can be a positive thing, but it also spiral. Take care.
      Blessings!
      Kavi

7. L.awrie says:

Yesterday I heard a specific cry and looked up. I seen a bird but wasn’t too sure what it was. It landed on the church steeple across the way from our yard. I went in the house and got the camera so I could try and get a better look at it. It was a falcon. Rare in our area. It had got its prey and landed there to eat it. One picture I took there was a feather, white in color.

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hi L.awrie,
      Despite the sad experience for it’s prey, that’s nature. Cool to see a falcon, interesting choice for its dinner table. Thanks for visiting HummingbirdShaman.com!

Blessings,
      Kavi

8. Joseph says:

So me and my friend had an extremely weird day. Very emotional, we both told eachother the stories of how we each lost our loved ones(her son, my father) and how we found them. Stories we had both shared with eachother before, but for some reason we were both very emotional and both cried extremely hard. Which wasn’t something we did or do often, but there was definitely a weird vibe in the air. Afterwards we went shopping, and upon returning home, we discover a vortex of birds circling above the roof, but not just birds they were some sort of hawk or falcon, i could tell by the way the flapping of their wings, but with them were bats, easily spotted due to their obvious wing flapping as well. There must of been at least twenty hawks or falcons, swirling around with an equal number of bats. This event went on for about thirty minutes. We were both amazed at what we were witnessing, and we were both very sure of what we were looking at, but not what it meant. The hawks weren’t hunting the bats, they circled the roof together. I know that this sounds crazy abd most people we tell this to either tell us all the reasons we must be mistaken or they flat out don’t believe us(or don’t care cause they cannot understand how incredible/rare seeing something like that really is ). Do you know of any meaning or what something like this might symbolize? Again, im not sure if they were falcons or hawks, their flight is similiar, so I couldn’t say which one. So, a large number of hawks/falcons flying with bats in a vortex over our roof. Or if anyone reading this knows ANYTHING about this event, like meaning, or maybe some sort of spiritual reference, I’m looking for any information regarding this event/topic. I’d be very grateful for anyone’s help, insight, or even opinion on this, thank you in advance.

• Hummingbird Shaman says:

Hi Joseph,
      So much of your experience seems out of the ordinary. Typically bats are not out flying until dusk, feasting on mosquitoes in the coolness of the evening. I’ve not seen that many hawks circling the same location, either. What I do see is the transition of energies. Sounds too like the connectivity that is often not seen between the physical and spiritual worlds. I’d love to hear other readers thoughts as well – readers?
      Blessings,